Monday, January 5, 2009

I am very concerned about the new laws going into..

effect on February 10th. These are going to put many many crafters in a bad place of having to either break the law or go out of business. I know some of the big box stores and large chains have a start on getting into compliance, but I also know of many small shop owners that are unaware of it all. It will effect resale and charity hard because items intended for use by children 12 and under will be halted. No toys, or even give aways will be allowed without the proper third party testing. My emotions are all over the place over this as I have been making chemo caps for kids and now I am having the charity I use beginning to hem and haw about the content. I don't import and use the naturalist materials I can find but I don't think that they are going to be exempt. I don't have the attorneys to fight it (cause I don't have the cashish) so I am going to be discontinuing my kids stuff.

2 comments:

Kiera-Oona said...

you could always try dying wool with kool aid and spinning it yourself. That way you know exactly what is going into your hats. Theres also ways you can use fruits and veggies to dye wool too. Knitty.com is a good place to start.

Kiera-Oona said...

Im sure this will wind up reaching the president once people get laid off cause they cant afford the 'third party testing' and hundreds of small vendors go out of work because of this stupid law. Is there no way you can write something to your state representative?

Forbes wrote an article on this already, and here's hoping it gets reversed.

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2009/01/16/cpsia-safety-toys-oped-cx_wo_0116olson.html